New light fitting and Extractor for bathroom and WC
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kingwayne
Labourer
Labourer

New light fitting and Extractor for bathroom and WC

by kingwayne » Tue May 12, 2009 3:48 pm

Hi can anyone confirm the following,
I am having a new bathroom fitted and need to add a new light fitting in bathroom and extractors in bathroom and wc (Seperate room).
The electrician has stated that because the wiring in my apartment does not have an earthing circuit and consumer unit does not have RCB that my only options are
(i) rewire complete apartment
(ii) add like for like replacement on light fitting and forget extractor.
Is there an alternative? i.e Class II light fittings and Class II extractor fan (which i have found on internet) will this still require a RCB?
What about using low voltage fans with transformers and inline RCB's??
Any help appreciated!!!

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue May 12, 2009 11:49 pm

without knowing the full extenet of the finds of your electrician it would be hard to say if it's right or wrong.
May not be total rewire but likely that lighting circuit does not have a cpc(earth)
The new 17th regs that came in on July 1st 2008 now means that new circuits need RCD protection unless certain requirements are met, your electrician is most likely telling you your best overall solution. But get a couple more opinions and quotes from registered sparks.
Your current system in your house is already low voltage don't get confused between low voltage and extra low voltage.
Kb

kingwayne
Labourer
Labourer

by kingwayne » Wed May 13, 2009 4:34 pm

Thanks for update, would really like to know what the 'Certain requirements are met' means.
The extractor in bathroom and toilet are both located over 2 meters above floor level and are NOT over bath, I guess my question is do i still need an RCD if I opt for a mains class II extractor which would be my preference over the extra low voltage extractor option.

Cheers

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu May 14, 2009 12:01 am

Trouble is bathroom replacement means you have to have extractor fan under Building Regs - yes you do need one in the loo as well. That is not a 17th edn issue. What the sparks is saying is iaw 17th but not having the fans will break bldg regs even if 17th complied with on lights.

KB is right BTW - get some quotes in to compare.

Cheers

PS What KB means is that 220/240VAC is considered low voltage.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu May 14, 2009 10:42 am

It is permitted that requirements of RCD are not needed if installation complies to certain regulations within BS7671:2008. Generally it is difficult for all these requirements to be true within a domestic installation, so rule of thumb is install RCD or RCBO protection, it's something that your electrician will inform you of and they will also advise on zones within Bathroom and if the accessories you intend to have installed and compliable.

I wolud always protect bathroom circuits with RCD
KB

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Fri May 15, 2009 11:57 pm

some flats run single cables in metal conduit. the earthing is achieved through the metal conduit. if it is possible to tap an earth onto this conduit then your ok for a class one fitting. Otherwise SELV| fittings may be appropriate as they don't have an earth.
with regards to the RCD issue. if you have a board fitted with MCBs then it may be possible to replace these with RCBOs (although frequently not, as manufacturers tend to make their boards obsolete rather quickly!) otherwise I would have thought a distribution board change to a 17th edition standars board would be appropriate, but as above it's hard to say without seeing the installation. Also as above bathroom circuits should always be RCD protected (which they would be on a 17th edition board). my inclination is a complete rewire is a bit over the top, but it really depends on the state of your current installation.
Andy

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:15 pm