new light fitting put in wrongly, blew all lights upstairs,


Postby THIEL » Thu May 29, 2008 7:19 am

PLEASE HELP. i bought a new light fitting for sons bedroom and he tried to fit it by following instructions on the sheet, however, it blew all the upstairs lights apart from the landing which is a 2 way switch. i got an electrician in who said it was a problem in the loft, he fixed it, but when my son changed his light bulb he got an electric shock and all the lights have blown again. i cant afford to pay someone again so am looking for some advice on what to do. i would also like to change back to a standard ceiling rose but am a little scared because when i watched the man put in my other light there seemed to be lots of thick cables with smaller wires coming off which he put clips on and tucked back in the ceiling. i would really appreciate any advice so i dont have to use candles anymore!!!!
THIEL
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 5:44 am

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Thu May 29, 2008 11:43 am

One of the reasons that electricians charge so much is that we become responsible for not only our own work but all related work on the system. If you read the post “sockets and consumer unit problemsâ€
ericmark


Postby THIEL » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:11 pm

hi, thanks for your advice, handcuffs on order!!!!!!!!!! however, the electrician was a friend of a friend doing a bit of work freelance, so no paperwork passed hands, friend not around anymore so cant contact electrician. candles still burning but not giving out enough light to do my make up properly lol, do u suggest i get someone else in or is there somethin i can try myself
THIEL
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 5:44 am


Postby ericmark » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:55 pm

Not really something I can answer. It is the big problem on sites like this we have no idea how good the people we are talking to are so we can answer questions but not really advise on what you can DIY. I would suggest if your asking the question then you should be getting someone in. I answered a similar question have a look at "re-wiring ceiling lights,lights stay on ,others wont turn on". See what you think.
ericmark


Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


 


  • Related Topics