New light fittings
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mc
Labourer
Labourer

New light fittings

Post by mc » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:32 pm

I'm trying to change the light fittings in my place, the new one only has terminals for 3 wires yet there are 3 red, 3 black and the earth wires coming out of the old ceiling rose. I tried marking what I thought were the live and neutral black wires based on there connection to the old light fitting but its not working. I’ve also managed to stop the light in the adjacent room from working as well by disconnecting this one/
Can anyone help or advise
Thanks

hig64
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by hig64 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:04 pm

Hi there

The three reds are common live..........
Two of the blacks are neutral and (one is a switch live) this should be marked with red sleeving.

Turn off your main switch!
Keep the reds together in a conector block tucked away in the ceiling and tape the block as the common lives are live all the time.

The switch live should be terminated to the light fitting marked "L" for live.

The two neutals should be terminnated to the light fitting marked "N" for neutral.

Earth goes to the light fitting marcked "E" for earth.
(BE SAFE)
hope this helps
Regards

Hig64

mc
Labourer
Labourer

Post by mc » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:15 pm

thanks very much. Have changed all lights as advised and all working fine so far.
thanks for the advice

jeannot18
Labourer
Labourer

Ignore post, problem has been sorted

Post by jeannot18 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:13 pm

Sorry to use this existing post to try sorting out my problem.
I have replaced 2 ceiling lights connected to 1 switch. The first light was easy as there was only 3 wires and it worked fine.
When it came to the second ceiling light, I have followed the connection as described many time in this forum:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The three reds are common live..........
Two of the blacks are neutral and (one is a switch live) this should be marked with red sleeving.

Turn off your main switch!
Keep the reds together in a conector block tucked away in the ceiling and tape the block as the common lives are live all the time.

The switch live should be terminated to the light fitting marked "L" for live.

The two neutals should be terminnated to the light fitting marked "N" for neutral.

Earth goes to the light fitting marcked "E" for earth.
(BE SAFE)
hope this helps
Regards

Hig64
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But now what I have is the first light is constantly on, and the second one works fine. Where did I go wrong?
Thanks for anyone able to help me

JC

EDIT:
Called the sparky that did the installation, and he told that I needed to connect one of the brown wire with the live switch (Blue wire with brown sleeve), and it worked.

Done another room and follow the traditional connection (3 earth together, 2 neutral together, 3 live together and the blue with brown sleeve on its own) and it worked straight away)

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:58 pm