New light in OLD bathroom
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mistypeaks
Labourer
Labourer

New light in OLD bathroom

by mistypeaks » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:56 am

:?
As it is such an old house the wiring is still in red/black and green. We have had an electrician come in and earth the house and fit the circuit breaker box so we know we are safe!! We've refitted our bathroom (thanks DIY Doctor!!) and are now installing new ceiling light. We know that red = live, black = neutral and green = earth. We've got the wiring diagram on the box for the light and all seems straightforward. (We managed to do standard celing roses no problem) However. There are 4 segments to the junction box and the diagram is showing us 8 wires. We have 9 wires. 3 neutral 3 live 3 earth. We can't fit 3 wires into the holes (and probably shouldn't attempt it!!) What do we do?
( I just know the answer will be call an electrician!!!) :(

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:05 am

Hi, you are right as wiring/fitting lights in a room containing a bath or shower is covered under bldg regs Part-P' so not worth DIY,
regards SPARX

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:47 pm

Junction boxes are rated in amps and the higher the amps the more room in the terminal blocks so use a box rated to higher amps. Yes you know answer can an electrician, its not the doing of the job, its the ensuring its safe after. The test gear costs a lot of money and it is only time before someone makes a mistake and because its not tested someone gets hurt. Is it really worth it. Many years ago I fitted earth leakage trips to my house as if my children got hurt because I had not done it I couldn't live with myself and they did do daft tricks and it did save them.

mistypeaks
Labourer
Labourer

by mistypeaks » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:00 am

thanks guys. We've got an electrician coming in!!! We have a couple of jobs for him to do so we'll just add it to the list. There's too much at stake with 2 children in the house to mess about.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:11 am