new light problems
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
richie2009
Labourer
Labourer

new light problems

by richie2009 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:52 pm

hi, fitted a new light in the front room of my apartment, kitchen is next with a door leading through.

when i have the kitchen lights on, you can see in my front room light (3 bulbs to the light) power in the circuits which glows up.

if i turn my front room lights on, my kitchen light goes off!! confused

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: new light problems

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:55 am

[quote="richie2009"]hi, fitted a new light in the front room of my apartment, kitchen is next with a door leading through.

when i have the kitchen lights on, you can see in my front room light (3 bulbs to the light) power in the circuits which glows up.

if i turn my front room lights on, my kitchen light goes off!! confused[/quote]

RICHIE2009
U HAVE CONNECTED THE FRONT ROOM LIGHT UP IN SERIES
WITH THE SUPPLY.
U NEED TO CONNECT FEED FOR FRONT ROOM IN PARALELL ACROSS LIVE AND NEUTRAL, AT KITCHEN LIGHTING POINT.
BLAKEY1963

richie2009
Labourer
Labourer

by richie2009 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:57 am

thanks blakey.....im going to have a raincheck and wait till one of the contractors come to check the place on wednesday (new build).....can i ask one other question?

b4 i managed to at least get the lights working, i came home from work the other day and made a start on trying to fix it (took me nearly 3 days but i think the connection on the new lamp was more for older regulation fittings) but forgot to switch off the electrics.

all 3 cables (9 wires) were showing an when i touched them, i realised s hiit!!! hadnt turned off the electrics but only recieved a shock similar to a car battery, it sparked and i jumped!! burnt my skin a little.....

i had debated taking off my trainers to stand on the chair b4 hand but thought sack it, they wernt dirty but now thinking did this decision help or dont you always electrocute yourself neccessarily when working with live wires???

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:22 pm

[quote="richie2009"]thanks blakey.....im going to have a raincheck and wait till one of the contractors come to check the place on wednesday (new build).....can i ask one other question?

b4 i managed to at least get the lights working, i came home from work the other day and made a start on trying to fix it (took me nearly 3 days but i think the connection on the new lamp was more for older regulation fittings) but forgot to switch off the electrics.

all 3 cables (9 wires) were showing an when i touched them, i realised s hiit!!! hadnt turned off the electrics but only recieved a shock similar to a car battery, it sparked and i jumped!! burnt my skin a little.....

i had debated taking off my trainers to stand on the chair b4 hand but thought sack it, they wernt dirty but now thinking did this decision help or dont you always electrocute yourself neccessarily when working with live wires???[/quote]

RICHIE2009
ON A SERIOUS NOTE , U SHOULD ALWAYS EXERCISE
EXTREME CAUTION WITH ELECTICITY , IT CAN KILL U.
ALWAYS TURN OFF AT THE MAIN SWITCH, AND VERIFY
SUPPLY IS OFF BEFORE TOUCHING ELECTRICAL CIRCUITS.
U ONLY NEED 50 MA TO CAUSE VENTRICULAR FIBRILATION.
BEST TO GET IN AN ELECTRICIAN WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY
THEY R DOING. PLEASE GO CAREFUL WHEN WORKING WITH
ELECTRICITY.
BLAKEY1963

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am