New Roof Leaking
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
psbresner
Apprentice
Apprentice

New Roof Leaking

by psbresner » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:54 pm

Hi All,

About a year ago we had our utility room roof replaced as it was an asbestos roof and starting to leak. We got a few quotes and went for a builder who was recommended to us. He replaced the roof with concrete tiles, which shortly after started to leak. This was down to the downpipe from the main roof exiting onto the utility room roof. He rectified this by extending it to exit elsewhere. Problem solved we thought.

All was well for about 7 months, then just before christmas it started to leak in 2 other places. I have contacted him on several occasions and left messages on his answerphone but he never comes to sort out the problem.

I believe and have been told that the tiles aren't suitable for the pitch of the roof, I did question this when he came out to provide a quote but he said certain tiles would be fine.

I am now at the point of thinking that he won't come and sort it out. I am looking for advice on how to proceed.

Please help.

Paul :D

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:15 am

psbresner,
Find out what the tiles are, measure the pitch of the roof and search for the technical details on the internet.
You will then have the information to challenge your builder.
end

royalmayur
Labourer
Labourer

by royalmayur » Mon May 24, 2010 8:01 am

HI ...
If you move to get roofing repair you need to select a reputed builder first. Lastly, you'll want to know what type of warranty is provided by the Building Construction Company. Remember that a builder that offers an excellent warranty and after-sale service is a builder that is confident in the quality of its work. This is just another indicator of the quality of the builder you choose.

Thanks And Regards

Mayur

chriseccles2
Apprentice
Apprentice

by chriseccles2 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:15 pm

Some concrete interlocking tiles can be used safely at absurdly low pitches, except in areas where prevailing wind is against you. Most concrete plain tiles should not be used under 40 degrees.

If the pitch is shallow (as I suspect, if it was previously an asbestos corrugated sheet roof), you could opt to slate it with 24 x 12 using a large lap. A few new battens and the slates would be your only expense, and it is definitely a DIY job.

Sounds like you may have no joy with that builder, who seems to be a bit of a fly boy.

CRE

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:01 pm

For up to 5 FREE quotes from trusted, vetted and insured tradesmen in your area visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:08 am