New Roof That Leaks Where Flat Roof Meets main Building
Tips, tricks and information on how to spot rogue and cowboy builders and also a platform for you to post and warn others of cowboy builders you may have encountered and help to spread the word of their dodgy dealings

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sanfico
Labourer
Labourer

New Roof That Leaks Where Flat Roof Meets main Building

by sanfico » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:13 pm

Hi, i need some advice on some roofing work i had done recently.
The roofer has left me with a new roof that leaks. It is coming from the back wall where the flat roof meets the main building.
The problem with my flat roof is that it has a soil pipe that runs along the top of the roof so it is difficult to get the felt underneath. The way the roofer got around it is that he has laid felt to run under pipe leaving gaps between felt and wall. and in some parts has tried to felt around the pipe and painted the wall with fibreglass paint? There are obvious gaps where water can get in.
Another issue is i thought the felt is supposed to run under the coping stones? Well, this guy ran the felt up to the coping stones instead of removing them.
Is there supposed to be puddles after rain?
Can someone advise me if it is possible to get him to redo it? Money back? What can i do? He charged me £1850.00 although he originally quoted me between £1300 and £1500. I wasn't there when he fitted it so he removed the roof and then called me that it would cost £500 more. I had no choice but to pay. Cowboy builder? Or am i being paranoid? Thanks for your help

Skid Sprocket
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: New Roof That Leaks Where Flat Roof Meets main Building

by Skid Sprocket » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:45 pm

You certainly are NOT paranoid and you have had a cowboy on your roof. Were you given a guarantee, which you would have use first, but failing that you need an independent inspection either through a solicitor, the Citizens Advice Bureau or Local Trading Standards.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:20 pm