New Shower Door Installation Also Leaking

Postby stuexeter » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:51 pm

I live in a rental and a new shower door has been installed by a contractor due to a leak with the old one. However the new one leaks too. Before I contact our agents, can someone sanity check that I am right in thinking that it has been installed the wrong way around? I've attached photos showing the inside and outside, and it looks like there a drip tray (sorry, don't know the correct term) that has been installed on the outside of the bath. Am I right or wrong?

thanks
Attachments
IMG_20171111_135715.jpg
IMG_20171111_132529.jpg
stuexeter
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby katoosh525 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:27 pm

Looks like a right mess.
Shower door instructions NORMALLY have the sealant applied to the outside for a few cm up from the base. This allows water to run down inside the not sealed parts of the fitting, and then leak into the inside of the shower at the bottom as the outside is sealed. Yours is clearly sealed on both sides. I guess if the inside has more (ie higher) gloop - then the water that runs down goes out rather than it, as the inside of the fitting 9or it's spaces anyway) is itself full of water.
Why not download the fitting instructions for your shower and compare to the photos :-)
katoosh525
Progress to next rank:
94.7%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!