new windows - now uneven sills
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Redkite9
Labourer
Labourer

new windows - now uneven sills

Post by Redkite9 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:09 pm

Hi,
Just had new windows put in (sash they were, so I was told) but now my window sills have a panel all the way around on the inside and so have a drop -down effect, like a step now on the bottom window sill! So I now have uneven window sills!! Is this normal practise?? The 'lining' is like plasterboard I think. It all looks hotch-potch. Could someone advise please??

Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:56 pm

Redkite9,
If you are refering to a strip of material all round the window this is a quick and cheap way of hiding the gap around the window. "hotch-potch" is a good way of describing it.
end

Redkite9
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Redkite9 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:40 am

Sorry for massive delay in replying.

Anyway, I hear this is quite normal for sash windows and it looks better now it's painted. Was still a bit of a shock when I first saw it.
However, there is no difference in 'sound insulation' and the one with the 'safety window' upstairs allows more noise through!!!!!

I was told by the people who did it that my Fensa guarantee would be with me within 2/3 weeks. It's now been 7 weeks and I have had nothing through the post from Fensa!!

Any ideas?

Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Tue May 11, 2010 8:00 pm

Redkite9,
You do not get a guarantee from Fensa but they are supposed to send you a certificate confirming installer self certification compliance.
It is down to the installer to issue guarantees.
It you are unhappy with the installation contact Fensa and see if they will come and inspect.
end

Redkite9
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Redkite9 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:30 am

OK, thanks. That's what I shall do.

andsmith
Labourer
Labourer

Post by andsmith » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:17 am

I know you have already had your work done but for future, I'd try looking at finding a DGCOS approved installer. The work they do is guaranteed so if anything goes wrong or is unsatisfactory, you can get it sorted. We used a guy who's a member of it for our back door and front bay windows. We just Googled "dgcos.org.uk" to find the firm.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:20 pm