All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nezza
Labourer
Labourer

Newbie - Bath Shower Mixer, Stiff Valve

by nezza » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:12 pm

Hi,

Noticed recently that our bath/shower mixer valve has gotten really stiff to move. This is after months/years of pain-free use :(

I've removed the small screw from the front and taken of the valve handle. The nut beneath is almost impossible to move, which is what has prompted this post. Can anyone offer any assistance?

Images here http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/gibbons.n ... directlink

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:07 pm

Try a bit of wd40 on it, but likely to be a build up of limescale and dirt.
So isolate water and undo nut and give it a clean and work it a bit, then tighten back up and turn water back on.

nezza
Labourer
Labourer

Did it!

by nezza » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:23 pm

Thanks for the advice. I took it and managed to get the valve out!
Sadly, after cleaning it and replacing it I noticed that switching between bath and shower had no effect?

I took the valve out again and realised that in fitting it, the small "end" of the valve that had broken off :(

Can this be replaced or is a whole new mixer set required?

swidders
Ganger
Ganger

by swidders » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:14 pm

You may get a replacement, but from experience tap manufacturers make some things unique to themselves and slightly (but annoyingly) different from anything else on the market. You're probably just going to have to bite the bullet and replace the whole thing.

Sorry!

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:33 pm

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:41 am