Newbie Fence
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cjhughes
Labourer
Labourer

Newbie Fence

by cjhughes » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:25 pm

Hello!

My family and I have just moved into our first home and we're currently spending all our time trying to get it in shape.

The back garden has a raised platform that's flagged and has a soil border within a wall. The drop around the platform is around 3ft (Picture attached)
image (1).jpeg
image (1).jpeg (47.61 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
. We have a two year old so we need to fence the area so he can play on it safely.

My concern is with the fence posts - I've seen lots of options on how to secure them but not sure which to go with.

What's the best approach to take? Post holder bolted to the flags, post spike driven into the border, concrete the post into the border? There is already a hand rail going up the steps and the top post could act as a fence post...

Ultimately I want the fence to be a picket fence and approximately 4ft high.

Any advice to a DIY newbie would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Newbie Fence

by welsh brickie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:24 pm

use 4x2 treated drill and bolt them to the wall from the floor to above the existing handrail in the picture, then fix and glue another 4x2 to the other side making it 4x4 inch then fix your panels in between.
Use hexdrive bolts no raw plugs are needed

cjhughes
Labourer
Labourer

by cjhughes » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:06 pm

welsh brickie wrote:use 4x2 treated drill and bolt them to the wall from the floor to above the existing handrail in the picture, then fix and glue another 4x2 to the other side making it 4x4 inch then fix your panels in between.
Use hexdrive bolts no raw plugs are needed

Thanks! I'd not thought about securing them to the bricks.

cjhughes
Labourer
Labourer

by cjhughes » Sat May 11, 2013 4:03 pm

After multiple trips to Wickes on Bank Holiday Monday we finally finished the fence.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (26.67 KiB) Viewed 2781 times

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:01 pm

Great job CJ.

For any viewers looking for more info on similar issues please see our DIY Projects category for fencing which covers how to install fence panels, how to concrete fence posts and what type of fence posts to use. We show you how to cut down a fence panel, how to join fence panels at corners and much more.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:09 am