No Central Heating after Oil Delivery

Postby rdraper » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:02 am

Hi,
We have just filled our outdoor oil tank up and now our central heating doesn't work. We think there is a problem with fuel getting to the boiler.
Does anyone have any advice?
I have read elsewhere that letting the tank get low can cause blockages in the fuel line but our tank wasn't low at all.
Could the delivery man have knocked something on the tank?
Any advice would be gratefully recieved.
rdraper
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby plumbbob » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:38 pm

Check for damage to any fire valves. Some have a cable with a solder link that melts.

Have you checked he has delivered the correct fuel? There are two types Burning oil and Gas oil. Generally domestic oil is clear as apposed to red, but don't take that as gospel.
plumbbob

Postby Alvin Wyllie » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:06 am

[quote="rdraper"]Hi,
We have just filled our outdoor oil tank up and now our central heating doesn't work. We think there is a problem with fuel getting to the boiler.
Does anyone have any advice?
I have read elsewhere that letting the tank get low can cause blockages in the fuel line but our tank wasn't low at all.
Could the delivery man have knocked something on the tank?
Any advice would be gratefully recieved.[/quote]

After the oil delivery, did you give some time for any dirt or sludge in the bootom of your oil tank to settle? I would say if you didn't, maybe the nozzle in your boiler is now blocked and needs replacing. I haven't had this happen to me, but a few years after we'd moved in to this house of ours, ours packed up, because I didn't know that water slowly accumulates in the tank, under the oil, and you need to drain this off, or else eventually it will reach the outlet connector, and sludge/rust on the surface of the water, and maybe water itself, will block your nozzle in your boiler. However, the good thing is that being an oil boiler you can work on it yourself and easily replace the nozzle (if that is the problem). Have fun, hope this helps!
Alvin Wyllie
Progress to next rank:
11.5%

Postby rdraper » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:58 pm

Thanks for your help.
Turns out the driver knocked the shut off valve on the top of the tank with the pipe and broke it. Just need to get a replacement now :)
rdraper
Progress to next rank:
50%

Postby rdraper » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:58 pm

Thanks for your help.
Turns out the driver knocked the shut off valve on the top of the tank with the pipe and broke it. Just need to get a replacement now :)
rdraper
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!