No DPC in Conservatory - what are our options?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
searsp
Labourer
Labourer

by searsp » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:50 pm

Hi there, first post so pls be gentle if I'm about to ask a stupid question!

When our conservatory was built (many years before we moved in), no damp proof course was installed. The patio immediately outside our conservatory has been concreted and patio slabs have been laid over the top. Ultimately, the concrete is directly touching the conservatory.

We only found out about the lack of a DPC when our conservatory floor turned to mush, this has now been sorted as part of an insurance claim but we now need to find a proper solution to our DPC problem.

We've seen on DIY programmes that laying decking can be a good solution providing you fix something like a ledger board to the house?

Is this option a good one or can anyone suggest anything else that might get us out of a hole. I particularly like the decking idea as it'll probably add a bit of value to the house along the way.

Of course, if we go for the decking option, we're going to need to lower the patio by a few inches. Would the whole thing need tol come up or could we just somewhere dig a trench around the house?

As you may be able to tell, I'm not a DIYer so any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Pete

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:52 pm

From what you write, it looks as if the people who were there before you, laid the slabs on top of the existing surface.
The slabs and concrete need to be removed from the proximity of the conservatory, a gap about 15 inches wide and at least 6 inches deep, but preferably 12 inches would be nice. This will provide somewhere for the rain to go and will stop the rain bouncing up against the side of the conservatory. Fill it with stones to support the sides.

You can then insert a cream DPC in line with the house DPC, this will solve the problem of damp rising in the wall.

The floor, is that damp too? If it is, then paint with a DPC solution and lay waterproof sharp sand and cement over as a new working surface, to be finished as required.

searsp
Labourer
Labourer

by searsp » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:18 pm

thanks for the response, I assume local builders would be the best people to approach to get quotes?

Out of interest, based on the digging out of a trench, what would be a ballpark figure you would expect a builder to quote?

Thanks again
Pete

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:02 pm