No hot water or heating.
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Trojan123
Labourer
Labourer

No hot water or heating.

by Trojan123 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:50 pm

Just come back from a two week holiday over New Year. Has been v.cold in ******* whilst away. House is an old chapel/bungalow.

Before going away on boxing day I turned off the stopcock, drained the cold tank and also the hot tank. Forgot to drain central heating.

On return last night, I turned on the stopcock and waited for cold tank to fill. Then fired up the oil fired boiler. I now have two problems.

1. No water at all coming out of any hot taps. Not a splutter and no air either. Cold water taps all fine. Have blocked the outflow on mixer tap in kitchen to force cold mains water round system but no joy. Hot water tank is on ground floor next to boiler. The tank feels hot but when you tap it, it sounds empty. Presumeably the hot feel of the tank is just from the heat exchanger inside the tank. Can't be a frozen pipe from the cold tank as the hot & cold sytems were drained. Any ideas?

2. Second problem is heating. The boiler fires up OK and the pump is working OK. Next to the room with the boiler is a small room with a single radiator which is on it's own loop from the boiler. This radiator heats up fine. No other radiators or pipework is heating up though. Have bled radiators, no probs. We have a large woodburner in lounge which has been on for 24hrs now so have some heat and by leaving all doors open the house is warming up. The house is an old chapel so pipework is a bit of a puzzle. The pipework for the radiators in the rear 2/3rds of the house runs above the ceiling but the pipework for the three radiators in the front lounge runs beneath the wooden floor. I wonder if this pipework under the floor has frozen.

Grateful for any ideas,

Many thanks

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:30 pm

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:03 am