No or little flow in Upstairs Rads
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rickshaw
Labourer
Labourer

No or little flow in Upstairs Rads

by rickshaw » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:07 am

I have very little flow? / Luke warm rads upstairs, i have read previous comments on the subject on the net and as yet can't get the rads hot, i have bled the system, closed off the downstairs rads to try to flush the water through the upsatirs rads but no improve ment and have also tried to balance the sytem but this results in making the downsatirs ciruit noisey- you can clearly hear the flow when you turn down the lockshield valves and this morning injected system flush, but still no improvement.
The downstairs rads get very hot very quickly, these have TRV's fitted as do the upstairs.
If i feel the pipe below the inlet valves on the upstairs rads they are very hot but but the rad is luke warm at the top and cold at the bottom, i recently put trvs on three of the four upsairs rads they filled and bled fine, they all got warm but never as hot as the downstairs, i read that it could be sludge in the rads,/ is this possible and if so why does it affect only upstairs circuit.

I have a gloworm 24Ci combi with 8 rads 4 up(3 with TRVS) 4 down (2 with TRVS) boiler is about 5 years old , the circuit was originaly a back boiler installation, would this make a difference.

i hope someone can help as i am at my witts end.
thanks in advance rick

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:01 pm

Remove the TRV head, and see if the upstairs rads improve, check the pin on the TRV is free.

If the above doesn't work, I would remove one of the upstairs rads and check the condition of the water, it will depend on the condition of the water as to what remedial action you will have to take.

Sludge in a system with a combi is never a good sign, as the waterways in the combi are so small it's only a matter of time before the main or plate heat-ex, diverter etc become blocked.

htg

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:08 pm