No Planning Permission
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
generallee
Labourer
Labourer

No Planning Permission

by generallee » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:09 pm

We built a bay window on the first floor of our property, on top of an extension, without planning.At the time we had a verbal conversation with the planning department in which they said it was a "grey area" whether we needed planning permission as it was less than 900mm from the back of the house.Now, some 4+ years later, after all the neighbours have done the same thing, they are issueing planning contravention notices.
Are we OK because ours is over 4 years old? Will our neighbours be OK if ours is allowed to stay?
Great, informative forum - keep up the good work!
Thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: No Planning Permission

by welsh brickie » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:59 pm

I would say you have no problems,If you have the persons name for reference you spoke to at the planning department 4 years ago then you have proof you applied.

generallee
Labourer
Labourer

by generallee » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:49 pm

I haven't got the persons name in the planning department.The 4 year rule applies then in this case?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:40 pm

I still dont think you have a problem.In my experience its highly unusual for the planning department to kick up a fuss over a bay window unless your in a conservation area.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1