No power to detached garage
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
busy
Apprentice
Apprentice

No power to detached garage

by busy » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:19 pm

I recently purchased a mid 1960's end terraced house with a detached garage. I am planning a rewire and have already replaced the jumble of old cast iron fuse boxes with a new split load CU. During this work I identified wires running in conduit which to my suprise remained live even when the mains power to my property was switched off ? These wires were entering a 15amp 'Danfoss' metal box (perhaps an old style RCD) but there were no wires exiting this box. I have never had power to my garage and wonder if this live wire was/is bringing power from somewhere else ?? to provide power to my garage.

I am in Scotland where the regulations applying in England and Wales regarding Electrical work are slightly different. Any ideas/tghoughts please.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:43 pm

The Scttish regulations strongly suggest you get a qualified electrician in to work on new circuits and special areas (gardens, out buildings and bathrooms, please read below as taken from the NICEIC website)

The Scottish Building Standards Agency (SBSA) Certification Handbook explains that the new certification system is based on the principle that qualified and experienced building professionals and tradesmen can be responsible for ensuring compliance with building regulations, without the need for detailed scrutiny of designs of inspections by local authorities, provided they are employed by reputable companies that operate a careful system of checking. Certification is an optional procedure for the implementation of the building regulations in Scotland. It is only relevant to work that requires a building warrant, where the warrant was applied for after the 1st May 2005.

Certification of Construction, in terms of electrical work, is the statement by persons who are approved as having suitable qualifications, experience and understanding to certify that completed electrical installation work complies with the Building Regulations.

Approved Certifiers of Construction must have due regard for compliance with the full range of relevant requirements, not just those applicable to the electrical work. For example, the construction of an electrical installation should take into account requirements for accessibility, fire separation and acoustic insulation of floors and walls.

Approved Certifiers must be employed by an Approved Body that is a member of the same scheme. In this context, a 'Body' will be an Approved Contractor or Conforming Body that employs at least one Approved Certifier and meets certain other requirements, including operating systems to check compliance with the Building Regulations, holding appropriate insurances, and providing access for certifiers to up-to-date regulations, codes of practice, guidance and training. All certificates issued by Approved Bodies must be signed by Approved Certifiers. In the context of NICEIC Approved Contractors, Approved Certifiers equate to Qualified Supervisors.

An Approved Body must designate a Certification Coordinator, who is the person responsible for countersigning certificates on behalf of that Approved Body. The Certification Coordinator acts as the contact point for the Approved Body, and is responsible for maintaining the system of checking, insurance policies, access to documents, training and handling complaints. In the context of NICEIC Approved Contractors, the Certification Coordinator equates to the Principal Duty Holder.

busy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by busy » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:29 pm

Thanks for your reply. I've just read the message I posted earlier and wanted to clarify something. There is a cast iron fusebox with a socket and light in the garage which presumably has had power running to it in the past, it's just there is no power getting to the garage just now and I'm trying to find out where the garage would be fed from

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:42 am