No radiators working after removal & replacing one
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dstar69
Labourer
Labourer

No radiators working after removal & replacing one

Post by dstar69 » Mon May 17, 2010 8:00 pm

I removed a downstairs radiator for plastering and painting but when i replaced it i lost about 3 litres of water because I opened the TRV accidentally :(
Now none of the radiators heat up. I tried bleeding them but only water comes out. The pump in the airing cupboard still sounds like it's working and I can hear water in it but it doesn't sound like it did. It's a Grundfos ups15-50 x6 model u747 and the copper pipes either side of it are warm but not hot . I have an old back boiler but unfortunately I dont know anything about it. My hot water is heated by an emersion so is unaffected.
I was hoping may be i pulled some air into the system when i had the little accident because it was working fine while the rad was off the wall but maybe I'm clutching at straws?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Tue May 18, 2010 7:20 pm

The system is airlocked - possibly at the pump, although if you only lost that small amount of water other things could be going on.

Whatever, simple bleeding the rads won't shift the fault. There is a big screw on the end of the pump. Remove it totally. Does it let air out? If no water weeps out, the system may not be filling properly - a header tank fault.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1