noisey pipes to bathroom
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tmprojects
Labourer
Labourer

noisey pipes to bathroom

by tmprojects » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:34 am

this is not a question, more some advice.

i have had serious problems with noisy pipes in my relatively new house. the noise was clearly a vibrating noise and very load.

after searching numerous websites all a i got was a load of technical gumph. ''bar this''', ''ball valve is in the wrong place'' ''times the pi by the meters over the hypotenuse''

then i worked it out slowly and simplified it.

the noise is the pipe resonating. (like a tuning fork) when affected it rings out. to stop this you need to stop the ''ring''. like holding a bell when struck will stop its ring.

because my house is all mains supplied. i slowly started to close the stopcock quarter turn at a time. eventually it changed the pressure in the pipes such that it could not vibrate the pipes enough to cause a noise. THIS WONT AFFECT YOUR WATER PRESSURE. you only need a tenth of a bar change.

this solved the noise when using the showers immediately. but i still had worrying noises from the toilet cistern. which anoyingly was a hidden cistern.

so applying the same rule. i tried to change the resonance. but i couldn't reach the ball valve or in-line isolator valve to reduce the pressure. so i changed the other thing needed to aquire a resonance. THE LENGTH OF PIPE BETWEEN BRACKETS.

its true that the ball valve creates the resonance. but it needs a just-so length of pipe to resonate to help create the noise you hear. so although you may not stop the cause. you will stop the noise.

think of it like a drum. you may not stop someone hitting it. but as long as you hold the skin it won't 'bang'

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:51 am

If you think its the ball valve, just change it to a different make/style.
Although not quite legal, i have a silent WC ball valve fitted to the tank in my loft as it is noiseless with it having a bit of flexible pipe going from the ball valve into the water so you don't hear the tank filling up.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:40 pm