Noisy Central Heating
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Richy G
Labourer
Labourer

Noisy Central Heating

by Richy G » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:09 am

Hi
I have a oil fired central heating system but once the heating has been running for about 2 - 3 hours i get a increasingly loud vibration through mainly 2 of the down stairs radiators which can be stopped by twisting the rad stat but normally returns later.
I have checked the flow direction is correct.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:59 am

Could just be something as simple as the radiator valves, try openning fully - if this solves it I would replace the radiator valves.

You say the radiator stat - do you mean TRV's ? if after 2 or 3 hours the other radiator valves close as the temperature is reached, it may just be that the vibration is the force of the water/pump against the other valves. As if you have 10 rads and 8 shut down, you have 2 taking the force of all that water.

Make sure you have a bypass fitted - or at least one radiator with 2 x lockshield valves.

hope this helps

htg

Richy G
Labourer
Labourer

Many thanls for your help

by Richy G » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:12 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]Could just be something as simple as the radiator valves, try openning fully - if this solves it I would replace the radiator valves.

You say the radiator stat - do you mean TRV's ? if after 2 or 3 hours the other radiator valves close as the temperature is reached, it may just be that the vibration is the force of the water/pump against the other valves. As if you have 10 rads and 8 shut down, you have 2 taking the force of all that water.

Make sure you have a bypass fitted - or at least one radiator with 2 x lockshield valves.

hope this helps

htg[/quote] :D

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:41 pm

?????

Any help ?

htg

Richy G
Labourer
Labourer

by Richy G » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:54 am

[quote="htg engineer"]?????

Any help ?

htg[/quote]

Many thanks for your help - i plan to have a look at the weekend, from what you said it makes a lot of sense why the problem only occurs after the heating has been on for a few of hours.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1