Noisy Central Ventilation System in 1885 Apartment
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

madsxx
Labourer
Labourer

Noisy Central Ventilation System in 1885 Apartment

by madsxx » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:40 am

Hi,

We have moved into an old apartment from 1885. A central ventilation system was installed in the bathroom and the kitchen in all the apartments before we moved in.

The whole system is connected to an engine on the roof (metal pipe with a mushroom shaped engine on the top).

1) The level of the system can be set from 1 to 10. It is currently set to 5.

If I turn the level of the system all the way down to 1, the noise level in the bathroom and the kitchen is still 50-52 decibel (when the measurement tool is held next to the ventilation hole in the bathroom/the turned off exhaust in the kitchen).

If I turn the system off, the noise level goes down to wonderful 35 decibel in both the bathroom and the kitchen.

Any idea what could be wrong when the system create so much noise even if turned all the way down to 1?

2) The engine on the roof is placed 3-4 meters from out balcony :(

When the engine is running, the noise level on the balcony is 52-54 decibel. If I turn of the engine, the noise level goes down to around 46 decibel (we live in the middle of the city).

Can something be done to the engine so we can start using our balcony?

3) If I turn off the engine on the roof, the noise level in the bathroom and kitchen is still the same as if the engine is turned on (50-52 decibel).

It is only if I turn of the system that the noise level goes down to 35 decibel in the bathroom and the kitchen.

Any idea why the noise level doesn't go down when I turn of the engine?

Thanks a lot for your help.

// Mads