NOISY PUMP
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dulciepreston
Labourer
Labourer

NOISY PUMP

by dulciepreston » Mon May 07, 2007 12:30 pm

I have a c/h and hot water system with a large cold water large tank and a small c/h tank in the attic. It has a copper hot water cylinder at 1st floor and a Potterton Suprima boiler downstairs (indirect system??). Anyway, yesterday I drained the c/h system in order to remove 2 radiators. Later that evening the c/h came on while the c/h was still drained due to forgetting to turn the time clock off. Ever since then, if I turn the hot water on, the pump also comes on and makes a continuous loud grinding noise. I thought the pump was just for the c/h and the pump wouldn’t come on for just the hot water – is this correct?? Also, have I now wrecked the pump which may have been on for appx an hour and possibly running dry, or have I sucked air into the system making the noise which needs to be bled off.

Any assistance is appreciated, as I my knowledge of c/h is limited.

Paul Pepper
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Paul Pepper » Sun May 13, 2007 3:41 pm

If it's a Suprima the system is probably newer and would have both c/h and dhw pumped, using either a single control diverter valve or two seperate ones. Very few pumps can survive dry running for a length of time - if it sounds that bad it'll need replacing!
Paul

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1