Noisy refrigeration units
Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
selhurst
Labourer
Labourer

Noisy refrigeration units

by selhurst » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:04 pm

For the past three years the shop below my flat changed to a delicatessen shop and I am kept awake at night by the continuous noise of the refrigerated units which are on more than they are off, it is only when they cut out do I notice how quiet it is. The shop has shutters and agreed to keep the main door open during the night but that has made no difference. I have good underlay and carpet but to no avail. I am almost convinced the noise is coming up through the walls as opposed to the floor since they have a large space between the shop and my flat. If I put my ear to the floor it can only just be heard but at the skirting board it is much louder. Somebody has argued that it must be the floor as the walls are solid,so I am unsure how to address this problem, does anybody know which it is likely to be please?

Nimrod
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Nimrod » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:23 pm

Selhurst,

Intermittent sound is very often more disturbing than continuous noise. This type of problem needs to be tackled at the source. From what you write it sounds like the problem is structure borne noise. If you put your ear to the wall you'll be able to judge whether this is so. If correct then this suggests that the machinery and pipe work in the shop are are not effectively isolated from the structure. So I fear that there is little if anything you can do other than talk to the owner of the shop.

Perhaps your local authority environmental health department may be able to intercede on your behalf with the shop as they seem to be responsible for a noise nuisance.

B:o)

selhurst
Labourer
Labourer

Nimrod

by selhurst » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:54 pm

Nimrod, Thank you for your reply. From what you have mentioned I think it would be appropriate for me now to contact environmental health and get their opinion. I am most grateful for your advice. Thanks again.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 am