Noisy shower pump
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
invisiblebloke
Apprentice
Apprentice

Noisy shower pump

by invisiblebloke » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:00 pm

I have a power pump for the shower in our bathroom. It's one of those shoebox sized pumps with 2 pipes coming out vertically (outlet) and one at each side (inlet). Initially, I placed it in the boiler cupboard close to the boiler and when any tap in the house was turned on, the pump activated. The pump was noisy and disturbed everyone else in nearby rooms, so I moved it to the bathroom, under the bath. It's still noisy but now only activates when the bath taps or shower are turned on. As long as nobody has a bath or shower when everyone else is in bed, then there's no problem.:wink: What IS the best way to install one of these and how can I reduce the noise?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:54 pm

invisiblebloke,
Suggest you make sure the flexibles are not strained in any direction and put the pump on a piece of rubber. If you paid £150 or less for the pump you should expect it to be noisy.

invisiblebloke
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: noisy shower pump

by invisiblebloke » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:01 am

I'll check the hoses again and put some rubber underneath. I think the bulk of the noise is probably coming from the bath itself, resonating like a big loudspeaker. Maybe if I build a soundproof box, I could put it back in the boiler cupboard. I'll look into that as well. Thanks for the advice.

matthewm1965
Tradesman
Tradesman

by matthewm1965 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:25 pm

If you build a soundproof box, make sure it is big enough to maintain an airflow through the motor, or it will overheat and burn out.

invisiblebloke
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Noisy shower pump

by invisiblebloke » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:41 pm

Thanks for that. I need to give this some thought. There isn't much room under the bath or in the boiler cupboard. It's quite a big pump. I wish I didn't need it but the bath and shower fittings are high pressure and just won't work without one.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:39 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:10 pm