Noisy Window Casing or Window Frame due to Wind
Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Galahad
Labourer
Labourer

Noisy Window Casing or Window Frame due to Wind

Post by Galahad » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:38 pm

I live in an old Victorian flat and it seems that the window casing is directly connected to the wall cavity. There's an air brick downstairs and on windy days the window casing howls as the wind rushes through it.

Question 1. How to stop the noise?
Question 2. Should the window casing be connected with the cavity wall like that?

My Window
Edited.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Noisy Window Casing or Window Frame due to Wind

Post by welsh brickie » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Its difficult to see in the picture, The second picture you posted was what is called a box sash window, the window slide vertically using cast iron counterweights.
You have a upvc casement window fitted, if you want to change it, look at vertical slide upvc windows, WindowsAndDoorsPrices.co.uk/Sash

Galahad
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Noisy Window Casing or Window Frame due to Wind

Post by Galahad » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:21 pm

welsh brickie wrote:Its difficult to see in the picture, The second picture you posted was what is called a box sash window, the window slide vertically using cast iron counterweights.

I just posted that to show the terminology I was working from. I wasn't sure whether that pice of the window was called a window frame or casing. On the photo I drew around the area in Photoshop to make it clearer. If I put my ear to that section I can hear the air rushing through inside.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:46 am