All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Merago
Labourer
Labourer

Non-standard pipe size?

by Merago » Mon May 26, 2008 12:51 pm

Hello all,

I'm installing a cloakroom suite and have ran into an issue. I had hoped to put the new sink in the same location as the old sink was. I went to attach the waste pipe to the sink and found that I needed an inch or two more waste pipe. No problem, I thought, I'll add an extension. Well, that would have been fine if the existing pipe size was standard, but it doesn't seem to be either a 32mm or 40mm pipe (I've tried connectors for both). It looks as though the pipe is just a little larger than 32mm (35mm possibly?). Anyway, all I need is another inch or so but I can't get anything that seems to connect. Are there universal connections that will attach to varying sizes of pipe that I could use? Or does anyone have any other suggestions. I'm an amateur at this sort of thing so can't get into anything too complicated.

thanks in advance.

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Mon May 26, 2008 2:32 pm

luckily I dont have the probelm of needing an extra inch or two.

but it looks like your best bet is to replace all the waste pipe with proper dimensions (32 fo a sink). Cheap as chips to buy.

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Mon May 26, 2008 3:23 pm

M,

MAY BE AN OBSOLETE/NON STANDARD POLY PIPE.

IF THE 35mm SIZE YOU MENTION IN YOUR POST IS THE INSIDE DIAMETER OF THE EXISTING PIPE YOU MAY BE ABLE TO CUT A LENGTH OF STANDARD 32mm COMMPRESSION WASTE PIPE (OD 34.50mm)THAT YOU CAN INSERT/SOLVENT WELD INTO EXISTING TO GIVE THE REQUIRED DIAMETER FOR THE FITTING YOU HAVE AQUIRED.

ALDA.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon May 26, 2008 4:23 pm

Might not be poly pipe at all - might be steel or lead.

Of what is it made Merago? Please confirm the internal / external diameter.

How much of the old pipe is actually protruding out of the wall?

Can you access the old pipe from the other side of the wall?

Cheers

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Mon May 26, 2008 5:28 pm

Are the joints in your waste pushfit or solvent weld because solvent welded pipe is slightly larger than the push fit variety.

If you need to join the two diameters together, buy a screw compression joint as these accept both sizes of pipe without a problem.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:07 am