North wall damp floors and walls
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rose47
Labourer
Labourer

North wall damp floors and walls

by rose47 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:04 am

:cry: I moved into my 22 year old bungalow last year and had a full structural survay done. No damp problems came up but the house did need new double glazing and updating and new heating and loft insulation. We have had all of this done and decorated and laid laminated floors and fitted a new conservatory and now we have finished and the hard work is over. I am exhausted and just want to relax and retire. :o But on the North side of the house we have two bedrooms and there are problems. The skirting has started to get damp, the flooring next to it is covered with dampness and the paint is peeling and bubbling off the wall up to about 10inches, there is black mould on the walls and the laminate floor edging has green damp mould on it. I have used bleach to wipe this away and it temporarily does work, but no furniture can go against the wall or the back of that turns green or black mould. When I move the furniture the floor underneath is soaked. In one of the bedrooms there is visable dampness up the wall up to about 10 inches all the way across and I have no idea what is causing this or how to remidy it or who to ask. There are no windows on these walls, there are no down pipes outside or drains near the outside of these walls and there is a damproof course. There is a concrete drive laid all the way around the bungalow and it is about 4inches below the damp course and right up to the bricks. I have looked at the answers on the forum and have done everything I can think of to stop this damp and mould but to no avail so Could anyone help with any of this as I am at my whits end. :?:

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

damp

by welsh brickie » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:30 am

You need a airbrick fitted in that wall where the damp is.You can also fit a hit and miss vent on the inside,that will solve your problems.

rose47
Labourer
Labourer

Re: damp

by rose47 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:53 pm

welsh brickie wrote:You need a airbrick fitted in that wall where the damp is.You can also fit a hit and miss vent on the inside,that will solve your problems.

Thankyou for your help. There are not any air bricks on the north wall or any part in either of the bedrooms. There are air bricks in other parts of the house and we do not have any problems with those rooms. We are going to give that a go. I hope it works. you may have put an end to my worries.
I'll let you know. Thanks again

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:48 am