not your average three way light switch?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

not your average three way light switch?

by Jeffmo » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:09 pm

Hi , I have a problem , does anybody have any idea wat to do with a three way lighting issue when there is only old colours twin and earth wires.I will try and explain , upstairs i have 3 cables coming up into switch and three going up to loft space from switch one of these is the bathroom light. Downstairs i have a 2 gang switch next to outside door ( 2 cables ) and an intermediate switch by the living room door . After replacing the switch upstairs i find i can switch the upstairs light on from upstairs. Downstairs at the 2 gang switch ,one of the switches turns the upstairs on but the intermediate switch will not turn on the hall light. If i use the other switch it turns on up and down together but i can't turn off from upstairs ... Aaaaargh it's driving me crazy any help welcome Cheers Jeff

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:42 pm

Oops, hi agn Jeff, here goes...
I presume the upstairs sw. is a 2 gang , 1 for bathroom & 1 for stairs (or is it a 3gang with one for landing light).
2 gang down stairs by door, 1 for 2way on stairs. 1 for hall light , which circuit has intermediate (4term.) sw?

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

3 way reply

by Jeffmo » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:17 pm

the interm switches the hall only, the switch upstairs is 3 gang ;1 for the landing ,1 for the bathroom and 1 supposed to be for hall and landing hope this explains more .Bathroom not a problem done and working,this runs off the upstairs lighting circuit all the others run from downstairs .I wish people would use correct wiring combos in the first place life would be so much simpler .Cheers Jeff

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

more on 3 way

by Jeffmo » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:22 pm

yes the 2 gang by the front door is as you suggested ,1 for hall and one for hall and landing pheeww!!!!!. oh also when using the 2 gang one switches hall on and the other then turns it off , it doesn't run true and i wonder if the 2 gang is wired up incorrectly , depending on this switches positions depends on wat i can turn on and off very strange.goodnight for now to the font of electrical knowledge (Sparks) Jeff

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:43 pm

Hi agn. Jeff thanks for comment.
I think you are right it would seem likely that the two lots of switch wires have got mixed up! I wish it was possible to visit as this is just kind of challenge I love, Hi, Hi,
are there any 3core cables ie red,yellow, blue cores for 2 ways?
if so what other cores are there at say downstairs double switch,
from your initial post i am expecting 2 red/black cables plus 1 3core cable, am I getting warm?
regards to most interesting 'pupil' yet.....
SPARX (South Kent/East ******* coastal border, not close I suppose?)

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

Sparks.

by Jeffmo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:40 pm

Hi again Sparks , unfortunately you are far too far away to assist i am in yorkshire. As regards the 2 gang switch next to outdoor there are 3 cables coming into switch all old colour red and black so ie 3 reds 3 blacks , no three core at all , i am guesing 1set goes to landing light ,i set goes to intermediate switch and 1 set to hall light , if lights were as simple as sockets i would be ok , but these old three way systems really task my brain and most i would imagine.Thanks for your interest . I am going to leave you my email address , not something thaat i normally do but it would be more convenient discussing this that way , no long waits for answeres to post. Still a great site though cheers Jeff. ( jmoorhouse65@msn.com)

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

not resolved yet Sparks

by Jeffmo » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:21 pm

not your average 3 way lighting system

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:15 pm