oak lintel above log/soild fuel burner
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jimwdh99
Labourer
Labourer

oak lintel above log/soild fuel burner

Post by jimwdh99 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:39 pm

I want to remove my existing concrete lintel above the fireplace and 'open it up' a little. I would like to replace it with an oak lintel accross the chimney brest. I would also like to install a solid fuel burner (stove) instead of having an open fireplace. Are there regulations as to the size of the lintel and the distance above the burner it will need to be installed i.e. the gap between the base of the oak lintel and the top of the stove.
:?

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Oddbod » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:30 pm

Hi, I’m not aware of any specific regulations, however there may be some. There will almost certainly be recommendations with the stove which you should adhere to. (As it happens solid oak is surprisingly fire resistant, it’ll sit there gently charring way before it bursts into flames.)

I’d really not be happy giving advice on sizes etc without seeing it. However you’d want to use a larger lump of oak than the concrete it replaces, for aesthetic reasons apart from anything else.

To be honest messing around with chimneys is something I’d suggest taking a bit of advice on first. Actually doing it is probably a DIY job, knowing what to do needs a bit more experience.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am