Odd lighting problem for lights in hallway - advice needed
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gordon_taylor
Labourer
Labourer

Odd lighting problem for lights in hallway - advice needed

by Gordon_taylor » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:41 pm

Hi there,

I have a bit of an odd problem, I turned on my kitchen lights which are two separate lights either end of the kitchen on the same switch, but what is odd is that the same of my through lounge was also not working but the other end of my lounge was working.

Now a couple of hours later the lights came back on and we're working fine.

The only thing is that I'm decorating my hallway at the moment and I have loosened the screws on the light in the hallway but not dropped it completely but that light is fine.

I'd like to have an idea incase it goes again.

Many thanks,

Gordon

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Odd lighting problem for lights in hallway - advice needed

by ericmark » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:32 pm

The standard UK system is to daisy chain all the ceiling roses with the supply and then take a switch wire from each ceiling rose to switch.

This means each rose has permanent power and switched power very handy for fans and emergency lights.

Where two lights are on same switch often permanent power not taken to second lamp.

Two way wiring goes switch to switch.

So touching the wiring on one rose can affect wiring to another.

However with CFL also volt drop can cause one lamp to fail and then come back on.

Gordon_taylor
Labourer
Labourer

by Gordon_taylor » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:36 pm

Many thanks Eric,

What is even more strange is that I dicoverd today that if I switch my hallway light off I can turn the two other lights on but when I switch the hallway light on it turns the kitchen and lounge lights off.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Gordon

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:29 pm

I will guess you have swapped a switch return and neutral in a ceiling rose somewhere.

What this means is lights are in series not parallel with old tungsten bulbs they would glow dim but with low energy bulbs you get all sorts of odd results.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:19 pm