Office chair mat
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
indiaoscar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Office chair mat

Post by indiaoscar » Tue May 13, 2008 11:49 am

I purchased an office chair mat for deep pile carpet and used it on a standard domestic carpet with a normal office chair (I weigh about 85 kg). It developed a crack and the suppliers (Office 365) are refunding me and say it often happens and they don't have a solution. They say a replacement may also crack and a chair mat for a hard surface placed on top of the original is also likely to crack.
Would something like a sheet of hardboard or ply (how thick?) be a solution?
Grateful for any suggestion as my chair is pretty immobile and in my 70s I really need it to shift around more easily.
Thanks
Cynthia

john9159
Ganger
Ganger

Post by john9159 » Tue May 20, 2008 9:31 pm

Given that such mats are only thin and made of PVC, they will crack eventually as the downward force from each castor is considerable, in spite of the weight being distributed evenly through five castors.
May I suggest 3mm thick rubber matting which may not look professional but should do the trick admirably.

indiaoscar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by indiaoscar » Thu May 22, 2008 1:21 pm

Thanks for that suggestion John - but as you say it might not fit well with the living room decor.
I think I may just cut out a large square of carpet/underlay and then stick laminate board or vinyl on the hardboard.
Cynthia

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:39 am