Oil Fired Central Heating System
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Peter Hamblin
Labourer
Labourer

Oil Fired Central Heating System

Post by Peter Hamblin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:34 am

The boiler is Trianco Contractor H.E. 50/90, less than a year old, in a fully pumped 2 pipe system using 2 x 2 port zone valves controlled by the room and cylinder thermostats. DHW is supplied via a double feed indirect cylinder.The problem is that the water in the primary system is overflowing via the vent pipe into the boiler feed and expansion cistern. I found the water in the expansion tank to be boiling hot. I thought that the cylinder thermostat and/or boiler thermostat may have failed causing this problem. However, I've been assured that this isn't the problem and that another valve needs to be installed in the system to help dissipate any excess heat from the boiler.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.[/b]

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:50 pm

This is simply caused by a poor installation where the cold water feed and expansion pipes from and to the header tank are connected to the primary circuit too far apart and the pressure differential is causing the water to circulate.

In a good installation, the connection of the two pipes should be no further apart than six inches!

Have a look at this diagram.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3276/309 ... 6b2ac5.jpg

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1