oil store regs
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ian2799
Apprentice
Apprentice

oil store regs

by ian2799 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:49 pm

hi guys is there anybody who has any experience in wiring an oil store although the oil isnt particularily dangerous im concerned they may try and store diesel or other flammable substances therefore i need to wire it with that in mind. the lights and other equipment is not a problem but im wondering what type of wiring should be used cheers ian

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:46 pm

Hi Ian,
You say lights etc not a problem??
so are you using flameproof items? I doubt it due to price, so if not then what are you planning to fit?
If petroleum regs apply then all items must be flameproof, lights, switches, wiring in Pyro/ conduit with long threads etc, also all circuits must have double pole MCB's & have a master 'Fireman's switch'.
All above would be OTT for just an oil store so label well on door, to state what is not allowed ie Petrol & other Highly Flammable Liquids, (Derv. OK).
I would use steel conduit or FP100 or pyro inside for lights which would be either cast metal bulkhead fittings or good quality vapourproof fluorescents with switch outside door of room.
Note on installation cert. 'Not flameproof'.
Regards SPARX

ian2799
Apprentice
Apprentice

oil store regs

by ian2799 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:36 pm

thanks sparx .although i wont be makeing a great deal out of it the price is not a problem all lights will be flameproof at about 250 pounds each there are two entrances and i was going to put switches outside each door and run conduit on outside of store mounting disboard in a weather proof enclosure on outside of store only entering the store with a conduit or pyro or possible swa with flameproof glands to feed lights would appreciate your views cheers ian

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:54 pm

Hi agn Ian,
I would stick with your plan and use steel conduit if not too many boxes as flameproof ones are dear, just use long threads on conduit to maintain long 'flame-path'. If not go with pyro, we still use it in Ammo. bunkers & magazines as cheaper than using lots of flameproof boxes,
regards SPARX

ian2799
Apprentice
Apprentice

oil store regs

by ian2799 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:31 pm

many thanks sparx

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:15 am