Oily patches all over the wallpaper just hung
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BEShephard
Labourer
Labourer

Oily patches all over the wallpaper just hung

by BEShephard » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:27 pm

Hi,

ive just decorated my front room, and i appear to have completely wasted my time.

i stripped the existing wallpaper that was around 25yrs old, and painted over 100+ times.

bonded the walls as its plasterboard walls using a paste type solution similar to wallpaper paste.

i let this dry then started hanging the wallpaper.

i came down the next day and noticed oily patches all over the walls, at first i thought it was just not dried or whatever.

but no, i noticed it on areas that were not stuck down properly the first time round, and went around adding little bits of wallpaper paste under the bits id missed on joins etc.

well, 2days later i still have these damn patches all over my walls, it looks awful and im so miffed at the prospect of having to do it all over again :(

any suggestions?

thanks

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:21 am

Hi, it sounds like you may have got wallpaper paste on the surface of the wallpaper when you were hanging it. That would leave a shiny finish. Getting rid of it will depend on the type of wallpaper used. It will come off some but not others. When papering you need to make sure that you have pasted it properly including the edges, but not get any on the front surface of the paper. If any does get on it then use a damp sponge and wipe it off before it dries.

BEShephard
Labourer
Labourer

by BEShephard » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:00 pm

Hi

thats exactly what i think happened :(

my aunt said sometimes it does no harm, but the wallpaper i chose is embossed and patterned, so i guess i need to strip and rehang?

grrrr this is so annoying!

might try cleaning a small patch although its dried :p will let you know what happens. ive got to rip it down so wont make a difference :(

thanks Theshedman

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:02 am