Old 33 modens with XP
Help and advice on software, hardware, configuration and general computing issues and problems

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ericmark

Old 33 modens with XP

by ericmark » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:18 am

I have an old modem 33,600 CISCOM the computer will boot in Windows98se WindowsXP or Mempis (Linux) in 98 and Mempis it works OK but in WindowsXP it will work for fax with Bitware but not for Internet or email. After changing service provider I can't get access to my web pages unless I connect with a modem and pay as you go with old service provider. Since XP is the normal OPS I would like to have it so I don't need to reboot no real point getting a new modem as for fax 14,xxx is fastest I can use anyway and I don't access web pages very often. Plus the old one will reconize the ringing and only pick up with fax and does not scream at anyone on phone. I have original disks and have never got the modem to work in XP having reinstalled many times when things have gone wrong. Using Dosbox most of the other items that would not work now work OK in XP. Did use 98se for some old PLC programs but no longer working on that type of PLC so no longer required I would like to reduce PC to double boot if I could. I use a router normally for internet and email which seems to work with everything from 95 to Vista.

offender
Apprentice
Apprentice

by offender » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:32 pm

Eric,

A little confused by your comments but I will have a go.

So basically I think you cant get your modem working in windows xp but works in windows 98se.

You would require new drivers for the Windows XP PC.

As for duel booting windows 98se and windows xp I would really advise against it, purely for the fact that no one should now be using windows 98se as Microsoft have stopped doing support for a long time ago therefore its very unsecure against all of todays nasty viruses and spyware etc.

Have a Google around for the lastest drivers for you modem would be my advise.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:46 pm

As far as I am aware WindizUpdate still works with Windows98se I stand to be corrected. Although Microsoft no longer do it directly. As 98 is the last of the OS's that will close down to Dos it is very much used with old equipment. When companies pay a few million pounds for a machine they are unlikely to change it because Microsoft has stopped supporting the OS which in turn supports the software used to monitor and modify the PLC's and inverters etc that run the machine. Although DosBox will allow one to run games items which require control of the in/out ports seem only to work with 98 or earlier. If my modem failed all together I would just give up but since Bitware will recognize it for fax I wondered if there were similar programs that would work FTP or Email in the same way and not rely on windows to find the modem. It not well I will just continue with Windows 98se. Seems a pity we can't get one OS to do all my radio ham programs and TV card all need Linux but although there are programs which do the same as Multisim I have never got my head around how they work so use windows for that. And my Norton Anti-virus works in 98se same as XP it is Linux that is problem never got anti-virus program to run in that but never had a virus either touch wood. Thanks for your help anyway I knew it was a long shot but worth a try.

døugie
Apprentice
Apprentice

by døugie » Wed May 14, 2008 9:43 pm

Are you saying that the modem works for fax in windows xp but not for connections to the internet?

Does your modem show up in the modems control panel?

Have you tried setting up a new connection in the Network Connections control panel using the modem?

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu May 15, 2008 7:38 am

Yes in XP using bitware fax program the modem works OK This is not XP's own fax but Bitware fax.
In the control panel with device manager under modems shows Unknown device with yellow ! against it and the network connection control panel does not seem to know it exists.
I have original floppy but drivers will not install and it seems that the chip used in the modem has no XP drivers.
My freeserve accounts need activating every 3 months so I re-boot into windows 98se to do that.
I do have triple boot Mempis, Windows98se and XP it seems only Mempis will work TV card correctly it will work in XP but not very well but thats not surprising all TV's seem to use Linux as their operating system. Mempis will work modem.

døugie
Apprentice
Apprentice

by døugie » Thu May 15, 2008 8:14 am

What is the make and model of the modem? You should be able to get it to work in xp by using a driver for windows 2000. Have you searched for drivers on the web?

The Hammer
Apprentice
Apprentice

by The Hammer » Thu May 15, 2008 3:10 pm

[quote="døugie"]What is the make and model of the modem? You should be able to get it to work in xp by using a driver for windows 2000. Have you searched for drivers on the web?[/quote]

I think you are seriously wrong here Dougie, that sounds too me like it could wind up crashing the whole thing altogether. I had this friend once who had this windows XP machine, and he loaded up 2000 drivers for a modem. Needless to say, he's switched to apple.

My advice therefore,

Get a Mac.

døugie
Apprentice
Apprentice

by døugie » Thu May 15, 2008 4:44 pm

I don't think ericmarc is having problems staying dry in wet weather.
Oh, you mean [i]that[/i] sort of mac.

I'm almost 100% certain windows 2000 drivers will work nevertheless.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu May 15, 2008 8:07 pm

Remember, you cannot use the modem as a modem if the Bitware fax software is running. You need to close the application totally to allow free access to the modem. Possibly requires a re-boot.

Are you sure you haven't got a friend or relative with a redundant pc in the loft that has a 56k modem in you could nick? A 33.6k modem is going to be awfully slow as you are realistically unlikely to get a connection speed much better than 28k.

Until I had broadband, I used to have two modems installed. One for the fax software, and the other for the internet.

døugie
Apprentice
Apprentice

by døugie » Fri May 16, 2008 11:15 am

I didn't know that about bitware, good point. You also make a good point about getting a 56k modem. In fact I probably have a few I won't ever use again. ericmark I'll send you one if it would help.

ericmark - you might want to consider just using microsoft fax when in XP

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun May 18, 2008 8:51 pm

Thank you for your help yes I did look for new drivers and I tried for many years to keep intel outside using an Amiga and there are ways around the problem by re-booting into another operating system. As far as Fax is concerned I only mentioned Bitware worked to show it should be able to work. The Brother Printer/Scanner/fax machine with send and receive faxes through the LAN and does not require the computer to be running to receive. It's not really worth too much effort.
For any major changes to my web pages I would re-boot but it's where I see a mistake and want to update one page where it would be easier to use it in XP.
With my local shop selling internal modems for £8 I think that's the best way forward.
With broad band for all but freeserve web pages it goes against the grain to buy a new one though. Maybe I should learn how to use linux more are any of you using Linux?

mraich
Ganger
Ganger

Computer

by mraich » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:27 pm

[quote="ericmark"]Thank you for your help yes I did look for new drivers and I tried for many years to keep intel outside using an Amiga and there are ways around the problem by re-booting into another operating system. As far as Fax is concerned I only mentioned Bitware worked to show it should be able to work. The Brother Printer/Scanner/fax machine with send and receive faxes through the LAN and does not require the computer to be running to receive. It's not really worth too much effort.
For any major changes to my web pages I would re-boot but it's where I see a mistake and want to update one page where it would be easier to use it in XP.
With my local shop selling internal modems for £8 I think that's the best way forward.
With broad band for all but freeserve web pages it goes against the grain to buy a new one though. Maybe I should learn how to use linux more are any of you using Linux?[/quote]

Hi Ericmark: Just came in on this project. Hope by now you may have your problems resolved. Just wanted to say that if your computer is a HP product they have an excellent service online to resolve any problem. Just go to their HELP link and you can hook up to a 'chat' adviser and get real-time answers. Good luck.
MH

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:37 am

Thanks I changed printer to a Brother which had a fax built in instead of stand alone fax machine which was thermal paper type so I could print on plain paper this unit also allowed any computer on the network to send and receive through the Brother unit as well.
Unlike the original stand alone the brother will only go to receive mode when it hears fax scream and does not just wait for 10 rings before cutting in.
There is no need therefore to use ringing types to separate fax from voice.
So the second number has been got rid of. So no longer any need for the modem with ability to recognise different ring types so a simple internal modem has been fitted.
The new Brother also has the faster speed no longer stuck to 9600 and it has multi-page scan. Plus I can fax direct from Word or Paint programs like old modem did.
Not sure with a computer system if it is still called fax? Or is it slow scan TV?
Thanks anyway
Eric

mraich
Ganger
Ganger

by mraich » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:56 pm

[quote="ericmark"]Thanks I changed printer to a Brother which had a fax built in instead of stand alone fax machine which was thermal paper type so I could print on plain paper this unit also allowed any computer on the network to send and receive through the Brother unit as well.
Unlike the original stand alone the brother will only go to receive mode when it hears fax scream and does not just wait for 10 rings before cutting in.
There is no need therefore to use ringing types to separate fax from voice.
So the second number has been got rid of. So no longer any need for the modem with ability to recognise different ring types so a simple internal modem has been fitted.
The new Brother also has the faster speed no longer stuck to 9600 and it has multi-page scan. Plus I can fax direct from Word or Paint programs like old modem did.
Not sure with a computer system if it is still called fax? Or is it slow scan TV?
Thanks anyway
Eric[/quote]

Good work. Happy New Year and may all your troubles in 2009 be little ones.

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:56 am