Old cast iron air ventilation grille?
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
prbaxter
Tradesman
Tradesman

Old cast iron air ventilation grille?

by prbaxter » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:55 pm

In my bathroom, my current project, there is an old cast iron ventilation grille in the wall. It currently has a cheap white plastic grille cover on it.

I'm going to be wanting to remove the cast iron grille and as per my sparky's advice, replace with a sheet of wood, screwed to the wall flush, of which a 100mm hole will be cut in the centre and an electric extractor fan fixed to it.

So, how would I go about removing the iron grille? the house was buit in the 1920's, so screws are unlikely to be holding it in.

Any ideas?

Baxt

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

fan

by welsh brickie » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:01 am

smash it with a hammer .
fit small length of soil pipe brick around it and plaster

prbaxter
Tradesman
Tradesman

by prbaxter » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:54 am

it just fell out in my hands.

behind the grill was a brick tunnel throught he cavity.

I installed in its place, a square piece of 9mm ply with a hole in the centre. On the back was a piece of waste pipe with a small grill on the end to stop bugs climbing in.

On the front, I installed a low voltage extractor fan, which is screwed to the ply and slots throught the hole. the ply was plastered over and tiled around the fan.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:54 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 pm