Old ceiling
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bonehamm
Labourer
Labourer

Old ceiling

by bonehamm » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:47 am

Hi,

The old plasterboard ceiling in my upstairs bedroom is quite uneven and the boards have sagged. I would like a nice flat smooth ceiling. I don't want to pull the boards down because the loft insulation is all loose fill and I cannot face the mess. Will screwing new plasterboard to the ceiling achieve this or will it just bend over the sags in the old ceiling? If it is possible what do I do at the edges of the room where there are no beams to screw the plasterboard to? Is it possible to use board adhesive on a ceiling? Would I be better off doing a coat of bonding over the old ceiling and then just replastering?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:09 pm

Hi bonehamm,
A few questions first.
1) what sort of condiction is the ceiling, board/plaster in regardless of uneven and sagging boards?
2) Have you tried to screw the sagging boards up tight again?
3) Is the ceiling painted, papered or artexed?

If the ceiling has detriated it is common to over board and you can apply board adhesive to area where no noggins, this will have to propped up untill good bonding has occurred but if the ceiling underneath has detriated the weight of the board may loosen plaster your trying the stick to!
If ceiling in good nik and you can screw up sagging boards, do that and prepare the ceiling to be skimmed or board over and skim.
Best of luck
KB

bonehamm
Labourer
Labourer

by bonehamm » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:00 am

Hi KB,

Thanks for your advice.

The ceiling is bare plasterboard, the plaster came off with the wall paper. The condition of the plasterboard is poor there are lots of gouges where I was scraping off some of the more stubborn plaster that did not come off with the paper. There was also mesh nailed between the boards which came off and damaged the boards a bit too.

I think you have given me the answer. The boards sag between the beams so I need to put in some noggins screw up the old boards to take out some of the sag. I will then need to board over and re-skim.

When I use plasterboard adhesive to board over is it necessary to PVA old surfaces first in this case my old plasterboard ceiling?

thanks,
MB

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:31 pm

Hi again, PVA? Good idea to mix a little in with board adhesive, best to prime ceiling with some water just so the current ceiling board does not take all the moisture out of mixed adhesive.
Glad I could help, don't forget to prop/support the board untill adhesive compound dry.
Best of luck
KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:30 am