Old Combi Boiler recently noisy fan - can I replace easily?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wavey
Labourer
Labourer

Old Combi Boiler recently noisy fan - can I replace easily?

by wavey » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:02 pm

Our Central Heating Combi boiler fan has suddenly started being a lot louder (noisy). Would it be straight forward enough for me to replace? It's an older combi, sorry as yet I don't know the make and model.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:22 pm

Fans are normally pretty straight forward to replace and instructions on how to change are normally found in the boiler manual/manufacturers instructions.

The correct replacement of fans and the combustion chamber door is vital for the safe operation of a room sealed appliance. All seals should be checked and renewed where necessary, also flame picture should be checked as you can tell alot about the condition of the boiler and flue by the flame picture.

I wouldn't advise carrying out any job on any gas appliance unless you are 100% sure what you're doing and what to look for (fault wise). I'd rather advise getting a CORGI registered engineer out.

But.... I have advised on DIY gas work lots of times, and someone will always disagree (normally someone who is not CORGI registered).

wavey
Labourer
Labourer

by wavey » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:00 am

Thanks for that advice, fortunately (for now) all it seemed to need was a good douse of WD40 on the fan motor, it's lovely and quiet, the boiler is a SIME FRIENDLY, quite old by the look of it and no manuals. Again, your advice is appreciated. If I'm not sure next time, I'll get a registered engineer out.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1