Old Cooker Control Unit and socket directly above hob!!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
coastline
Labourer
Labourer

Old Cooker Control Unit and socket directly above hob!!

by coastline » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:08 pm

Hi all, I have just had a standalone electirc cooker delivered and been told by the installation guy that he can't install because the Control Unit is directly above the hob (about 70cm above).

The house was recently rewired (we rent and were told the landlord had to do this for a certificate) although this Control unit was not replaced or moved.

After a morning of research I cannot find out if this is a recommendation or regulation.

So my question is this - Is the current location for the cooker control unit against regulations and if so what are the exact regulations that it is against. If I need to get my landlord to move it I want to be able to quote the source of my new found knowledge!!

Many thanks for your help.

Tony

sunny
Apprentice
Apprentice

by sunny » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:14 pm

The "On Site Guide" to BS7671 published by the IEE (page 154) states:
"The control switch or cooker control unit should be placed within two metres of the appliance, but not directly above it."

I am only recently part P qualified myself and admit it is not always obvious what MUST be done and what is just good practice. There are more experienced souls than me who will hopefully respond to your question.

At the end of the day do you want to have to put your arm through a raging chip pan fire to turn of the cooker!

coastline
Labourer
Labourer

by coastline » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:43 pm

Thanks for the reply Sunny,

As you say it makes sense not to have the control unit above the cooker.

I'm just puzzled as to why it wasn't moved during our recent (less than 12 months ago) rewiring. We were told that the Landlord had to get the re-wiring done to comply with current regulations.

It may be that it wasn't deemed necessary to relocate it at the time because there was no cooker in place.

Regards

Tony

coastline
Labourer
Labourer

by coastline » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:58 pm

Any other replies out there?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:17 pm