Old Detached Solid Brick Wall Garage Roof Replacement
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

GMC86
Labourer
Labourer

Old Detached Solid Brick Wall Garage Roof Replacement

by GMC86 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:13 am

Hi all,

Due to the current dilapidated state of my garage I've had to remove the roof before it fell on someone.
It is an old detached garage, 9inch solid brick wall construction, approx 5x6m.

The roof construction consists of two main trusses resting on the wall plates, which support purlins that in turn support the rafters. There are floor joists that are located in pockets in the brickwork, about 3 courses below the wall plates and as a result are not attached to the rafters.

One problem that I'm in the process of dealing with is the ends of the trusses have rotted, causing them to slip from the wall plates. This has put extra weight on the rafters resulting in the brickwork bowing out in places.

Ideally I would like to retain the useable space in the roof section, replacing the current setup with prefabricated trusses would have the truss webs along the length of the roof, even with attic trusses the floor would be raised meaning I could no longer stand in the space.

Anyway, the point of my whole ramblings is if I renew what was already there, am I likely to encounter similar problems in the future with the rafters and the joists not connected, will there be too much lateral force on the walls?

Thanks,
G

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:40 pm