old, flaky, cracked walls for painting

Postby garyd » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:57 pm

Can anyone advise as to the best way to deal with older interior plaster walls. I have just stripped the bedroom walls of (my) old house - the plaster is old, dry and cracked in a lot of places, but at least i think it is long standing - should I fill the walls before sealing? or seal first before filling? I also want to use Smoothover to give it a better finish. Should I just give up and use a lining paper?
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:46 pm


Simply Build It

Postby Mick Coleman » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:11 pm

Im a decorator sounds like your walls are like everyone eles with a old house
Nothing to worry about
Just fill in the cracks and sand the walls making sure the plaster is sound.
Then you can line or cross line the walls. for emulsioning or papering
Good Luck
Mick Coleman
Painter & Decorator
dont use smooth over
Mick Coleman
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:01 pm

Postby mrfixit » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:33 pm

I would seal before and afterwards. Try painting the wall with a long pile roller (the sort that you would use outside) and a good thick emulsion (Wickes professional range, not trade) is very good and you will get a pattern from the roller that may cover slight marks, roll slowly to avoid too much spatter. Good Luck
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:30 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics