One Cold Radiator
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Farrier
Labourer
Labourer

One Cold Radiator

by Farrier » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:35 pm

There are already loads of similar questions here so sorry for adding another, but none seem to really address my issue...

I have one radiator that only gets hot if most of the others are turned off - it's the furthest from the boiler. Lockshield is fully open. The supply pipe is always red hot even with all other rads on but this radiator stays cold along with the return pipe. All other rads in the house are shut down as far as possible without turning them off. Do you still maintain a balancing issue or could it be that the pump isn't powerful enough? It's a fairly new pump by the way and seems to be working fine.

If it's balancing where can I get the necessary thermometers to do this properly, or is there anyone in the York/Thirsk area who could help out?

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:10 am

Hi Farrier,

If the flow to the valve is hot - the problem MAY be the rad valve, what valve is it?
If it's a TRV - take the head of ( Knirled silver ring unscrews = safe)
- see if this works.
If not come back with more info.

WOODENTOP
Labourer
Labourer

1 COLD RADIATOR

by WOODENTOP » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:47 pm

HELLO TO ADD TO FARRIERS ACCOUNT , I TOO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THAT I CLOSED MY VALVES , REMOVED MY RADIATOR, RAN A HOSE PIPE THROUGH IT UNTIL CLEAR .
I THEN OPENED BOTH VALVES ONE AT A TIME SLOWLEY UNTIL WATER GUSHED OUT SHUT THEM BOTH OFF , REINSTALLED RAD, BLED THROUGH PROPERLY AND RAD WAS FINE FOR ABOUT 2 DAYS AND THEN IT WENT COLD AGAIN TRIED TO BLEED AGAIN BUT NO AIR IN RAD THIS TIME , ANYONE KNOW WHATS GOING ON OR DOES IT MEAN A NEW RAD?REGARDS STEVE :cry:

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:00 am

Steve,

Your problem indicates a sludged up system = flush out whole system + inhibitor.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1