One section of the house has no power
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
handy?man
Labourer
Labourer

One section of the house has no power

by handy?man » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:38 am

Hello:

A ceiling light abruptly stopped working, so I opened it. No current there. Checked switch, no current there. So, first I tested a wall outlet (plug) and it worked. Then I tried to power the switch from that plug. Nothing happened to the switch or the ceiling light. Suddenly the entire room went dark. Now there is no power in that room, plus the adjoining bathroom and a couple of outlets in the adjacent room. I checked all outlets and they all have correct wiring. I think, but am not sure, the problem may be in the junction box, but I do not know if I am correct nor how to find it. My house has aluminium wiring!!

Please help. Thanks

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: One section of the house has no power

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:11 am

[quote="handy?man"]Hello:

A ceiling light abruptly stopped working, so I opened it. No current there. Checked switch, no current there. So, first I tested a wall outlet (plug) and it worked. Then I tried to power the switch from that plug. Nothing happened to the switch or the ceiling light. Suddenly the entire room went dark. Now there is no power in that room, plus the adjoining bathroom and a couple of outlets in the adjacent room. I checked all outlets and they all have correct wiring. I think, but am not sure, the problem may be in the junction box, but I do not know if I am correct nor how to find it. My house has aluminium wiring!!

Please help. Thanks[/quote]

HANDYMAN
OH DEAR. MY THOUGHTS OF WAT U DID WHEN U TRIED TO POWER YOUR SWITCH OFF A LIGHT AS U SAY NOT WORKING FROM ONE OF YOUR WORKING WALL OUTLET PLUGS. ( USING YOUR TERMINOLOGY )
YOUR HOUSE AS U SAY HAS ALUMINIUM WIRING !.
SOUNDS LIKE YOUR WIRING IS DATED NUMBER ONE.
NUMBER TWO AT THE VERY LEAST A PERIODIC INSPECTION IS NOW NEEDED TO ASSESS THE AGE OF YOUR INSTALLATION.
NUMBER 3 . I WOULD GUESS U NEED A REWIRE.
NUMBER 4. WHATEVER U DO U WILL HAVE TO GET A REGISTERED LECKIE IN TO FIND OUT WHY U HAVE THIS POWER LOSS TO PARTS OF THE HOUSE. DO I ASSUME ALL PROTECTIVE DEVICES ARE STILL OPERATIVE OR IN ONE PIECE ( ANY BLOWN FUSES )
BLAKEY1963

handy?man
Labourer
Labourer

by handy?man » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:06 pm

Thanks, Blakey1963:

Yes all protective devices are still operative. Last night I even inspected the circuit breaker panel, and all is fine. I think there is an open at the junction box that carries power to the room and then distributes it to all the plugs. The question is: Once the power leaves the circuit breaker, where would it most likely reach to get distributed to all the various outlets. Does it first stop at a junction box and then proceed to the ceiling light, or does it stop somewhere else. If it comes to the junction box first, how and where do I find that junction box. The room is on the top floor of the house and there is an attic with tons and tons of insulation.

What is the number 1 and number 2 that you mention?

Thanks

Handy?man

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:36 pm

[quote="handy?man"]Thanks, Blakey1963:

Yes all protective devices are still operative. Last night I even inspected the circuit breaker panel, and all is fine. I think there is an open at the junction box that carries power to the room and then distributes it to all the plugs. The question is: Once the power leaves the circuit breaker, where would it most likely reach to get distributed to all the various outlets. Does it first stop at a junction box and then proceed to the ceiling light, or does it stop somewhere else. If it comes to the junction box first, how and where do I find that junction box. The room is on the top floor of the house and there is an attic with tons and tons of insulation.

What is the number 1 and number 2 that you mention?

Thanks

Handy?man[/quote]

HANDYMAN
RIGHT LET ME CLARIFY FURTHER 4 U. TO RECAP :
NUMBER 1 . YOUR WIRING IS DATED
NUMBER 2 . AT THE VERY LEAST A PERIODIC INSPECTION
IS NOW NEEDED TO ASSESS THE AGE OF YOUR
INSTALLATION.

NUMBER 1 AND NUMBER 2 WOULD BE REFERING TO MY INTERPRETATION THAT YOUR WIRING IS VERY OLD , AND IN THESE CIRCUMSTANCES , AN ASSESSMENT OF THE CONDITION OF YOUR
INSTALLATION ( WIRING ) WOULD NEED TO TAKE PLACE BY A REGISTERED ELECTRICIAN . ALUMINIUM WIRING IS CLASSED AS DATED
NOT BEING INSTALLED FOR MANY YEARS .
OK HOPE THAT EXPLAINS 1AND 2.
RIGHT U SAY PROTECTIVE DEVICES STILL OPERATIVE .
THIS JUNCTION BOX COULD CONTAIN MORE PROTECTIVE DEVICES , IF U CAN LOCATE IT . OBVIOUSLY ISOLATE POWER , BEST TORCH AT THE READY, AND TRACE FROM THE MAINS BOARD , ANY POINT LIKE THIS JUNCTION BOX WHICH COULD BE INTERUPTING THE FLOW OF POWER, BY
A BLOWN FUSE. IF ALL THIS SEEMS FINE , IF U CAN LOCATE ALL POINTS WHERE WIRING COULD BE PROTECTED BY DEVICES , THEN A BREAKDOWN IN THE CABLE MIGHT HAVE OCCURED DURING FAULT CONDITIONS.
YOU SAY THAT ALL CIRCUIT BREAKERS ARE OK . IN SOME CIRCUMSTANCES MCB S CAN BE ON BUT DUE TO THE EFFECTS OF CERTAIN FAULTS CAN OPPOSE THE FLOW OF POWER AND BECOME INOPERABLE .
NOT MUCH MORE TO ADVISE OTHER THAN NUMBER 4.
IF U ARE UNABLE TO LOCATE PROBLEM , THEN CALL IN A REGISTERED
ELECTRICIAN TO ASSESS POWER LOSS AND CONDITION OF WIRING .

BLAKEY1963

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:57 pm