opening a chimney breast

Postby swidders » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:17 pm

I want to remove the face of a chimney breast (about 800mm wide) to about 1800mm, and use the remaining side faces/reveals to support the steel beams to support the remaining wall above the opening.

The chimney pots will be cowelled to allow ventilation to flow.

Do I need planning permission or to contact building control prior to doing this and am i likely to then have to do or pay for any calculations for sizes of steels? Was hoping to use a corrugated lintel cut to size to allow for 150mm embedding on both sides.

Any help/advice welcome.

Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby kbrownie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:50 pm

Hi swidders, you will need to inform building controls and they will ask for calculation by a structual engineer as this is a structual part of your property. You should find when you start removing render/plaster that a lintel or 2 will be supporting the fire opening. Depending of the age of property and any modifations made in the past, I can't say where this may be.

Postby swidders » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:37 pm

Thanks - was ever hopeful to avoid the cost but c'est la vie.
Progress to next rank:

Postby TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:40 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!