opening a chimney breast
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
swidders
Ganger
Ganger

opening a chimney breast

by swidders » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:17 pm

I want to remove the face of a chimney breast (about 800mm wide) to about 1800mm, and use the remaining side faces/reveals to support the steel beams to support the remaining wall above the opening.

The chimney pots will be cowelled to allow ventilation to flow.

Do I need planning permission or to contact building control prior to doing this and am i likely to then have to do or pay for any calculations for sizes of steels? Was hoping to use a corrugated lintel cut to size to allow for 150mm embedding on both sides.

Any help/advice welcome.

Thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:50 pm

Hi swidders, you will need to inform building controls and they will ask for calculation by a structual engineer as this is a structual part of your property. You should find when you start removing render/plaster that a lintel or 2 will be supporting the fire opening. Depending of the age of property and any modifations made in the past, I can't say where this may be.
KB

swidders
Ganger
Ganger

by swidders » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:37 pm

Thanks - was ever hopeful to avoid the cost but c'est la vie.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:40 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1