opening up external wall
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
amazondean
Apprentice
Apprentice

opening up external wall

by amazondean » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:29 pm

I am in the process of a small extension to my 1930's semi which is basicaly extending my dining room a couple of metres level with the end of the kitchen. My question is, when the external wall is knocked out, what would the minimum the wall can stick out to carry the lintel. I have been informed that it needs to be 450mm either side with a bearing length of about 200mm. one side is the neighbours and the other side is the corner where the kitchen then sticks out. The width of the room is about 3.3m wall to wall. If it has to be 450mm it is going to seem like the extension is another miniscule room. Can this 450mm dimension be made much smaller and if so what is needed to be done to hold the strength please.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:32 pm

Let DIY Doctor help you to find quotes from vetted and trusted tradesman local to your area. Visit our Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:53 am