Options for Ventilation for Bedrooms at Front of Property for Condensation
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ronanjordan
Labourer
Labourer

Options for Ventilation for Bedrooms at Front of Property for Condensation

by ronanjordan » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:08 pm

Hi guys. New on here.
Get a bit of condensation on windows in bedrooms overnight. Looking at options for ventilation and opinions.
As the bedrooms are at the front I would prefer to avoid vents going through the cavity wall.

I was thinking about ceiling vent and a length of 4 inch wavin pipe ( plastic sewer pipe) with few T pieces to each bedroom to a vent on the gable end, so all rooms go to 1 vent, may put a small inline ventilation fan with a timer for air Changes over night... wont be a sophisticated balanced system, but wont be too expensive...
Opinions, thoughts and donations accepted.

lets have a look
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Options for Ventilation for Bedrooms at Front of Property for Condensation

by lets have a look » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:55 am

I can donate some old 4" plastic vent that came out of some old public toilets,bit crusty inside,

I had the same problem when I rented out my house,but now living back here I just open all the windows for 15 minutes a day

ronanjordan
Labourer
Labourer

by ronanjordan » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:59 pm

No thanks on the pipe!i

Windows are opened daily but overnight it's probably 8 hours of closed window so looking at ventilation..
Any advice on the idea I have greatly appreciated..

lets have a look
Foreman
Foreman

by lets have a look » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:03 am

The cheapest way would be to drill some 20mm holes in the wall through to the outside and and cover with a a plastic vent.

neil-the-handyman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by neil-the-handyman » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:08 am

Hi Neil the Oxford handyman here,

Insufficient air flow is the cause.
The best solution is to fit vents into the window frames. These cost about £12-15 from any UPVC supplier. Use a small drill bit to ensure that you are clear of any internal metal strengthening. This should reduce moisture being trapped internally and precipitating on the colder surfaces promoting mould growth.

All the best,

Neil

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1