Outdoor light stays on after pwer cut
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lyonp139
Labourer
Labourer

Outdoor light stays on after pwer cut

by lyonp139 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:43 pm

Hi. I recently moved into my house and had to turn the power off to do one or two jobs. Then after I turned the power back on I noticed that my outdoor security light wouldn't go off, even after leaving it for two days. It has a motion sensor and also a photo sensor, but moving the controls for these doesn't seem to do anything. Does anyone have any ideas about how I can get it to switch off? It seems to be connected to the ring main for all the other lights downstairs, so switching it off at the fuse box isn't an option!!

Thanks

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:08 pm

Hi, if when switching back on you inadvertantly double-clicked' the main switch or circuit isolator the lamp will go into permanent overide, to get back to normal operation usually needs the power to it to be off for a minute or two, then straight back on without hesitation, this should 'reset' its mode to normal and it should only stay on for a sort while, then go off.
this can happen during short power faults too.
regards SPARX

lyonp139
Labourer
Labourer

by lyonp139 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:24 am

Thanks Sparx, but this doesn't seem to have worked. (I even tried it in the dark to see if it was the light that was making a difference). I'm going to dis-connect it from the fuse box so that it is permanently off until I can look at it next weekend.

If anyone else has any ideas in the mean time let me know.

Thanks

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:28 pm