Outdoor lighting

Postby bodget&co » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:06 pm

Hi Guys, (Hope this makes sense)

Not so long ago we had our kitchen re-wired and an extra outdoor light fitted, to accompany the other one that was already there. They both operate on PIR's but once one unit is triggered, both lights come on. (I'm assuming that's normal? It's also by the by.)

When we had just the single unit, the switch for it operated in a; Off/On-PIR or, we could flick the switch, on/off and on again to have the light on constant. I was fine with that but, the electrician that installed the second unit & PIR fixed it so both lights operate on one switch, in a; On-constant or on-PIR basis and we can never switch the lights off. I would like to able to switch the lights off at night before I go to bed, as having them coming on all through the night is a waste of energy! Is it possible to do and would it prove to be an expensive fix? Does anybody know how much I should budget for such a job?

Again any help or advice is greatly appreciated and much sought after,

Kind regards, Matt
bodget&co
Progress to next rank:
10.5%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby sparx » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:45 pm

hi
it should be simple to change the single switch to a double and use the 2nd one to break the supply to the original one.
regards
sparx

Postby bodget&co » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:15 pm

Thanx Sparx,

Appreciate your advice greatly. Do you have any idea how much such a job would cost?

Regards, Matt
bodget&co
Progress to next rank:
10.5%

Postby sparx » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:03 pm

Hi,
A replacement 2 gang switch around £5, time cost is difficult but if straight forward shouldn't take more than half hour, but most leckies have minimum time to allow for travel etc.
We don't do any job at less than 2 hours min. as rural location means we could only do 4 jobs a day, so to cover costs it means 2 hrs @£30/hr
a job such as this would cost £65 +tax!
If you have a very local sparky this could be a 'pocket money 'job,
nudge-nudge, wink-wink!
sparx

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!