outdoor security light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
roscot
Labourer
Labourer

outdoor security light

by roscot » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:54 am

I have an outdoor security light which is switched from our utility room. Inside the switch are red/green and black with red tape. At the moment the light comes on when the sensor is activated without touching the switch, or I can put the light on permanently with the switch. I want to be able to turn the light off completely as when the dogs are out it is coming on & off all the time when not needed! It has a 2 way switch at present but if I put the black/red wire in one port the light stays on permanently, if I put it in the other I can switch on permanently & the sensor triggers as it should but I can't turn it off completely!

Any ideas please?

Ta very much.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: outdoor security light

by BLAKEY1963 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:42 pm

[quote="roscot"]I have an outdoor security light which is switched from our utility room. Inside the switch are red/green and black with red tape. At the moment the light comes on when the sensor is activated without touching the switch, or I can put the light on permanently with the switch. I want to be able to turn the light off completely as when the dogs are out it is coming on & off all the time when not needed! It has a 2 way switch at present but if I put the black/red wire in one port the light stays on permanently, if I put it in the other I can switch on permanently & the sensor triggers as it should but I can't turn it off completely!

Any ideas please?

Ta very much.[/quote]

roscot
u would need to put the live in at the switch and the live out to the sensor light , across the switch, so when u switch off it breaks the supply
to the light.
this now comes under part p as outdoor work and is notifiable,as it is classed as a special location , because it is an area of increases shock risk due to the presence of water.
i would u get an electrician to do this for u.

BLAKEY1963

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:09 pm