Outside door step/sill??
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ollieowner
Labourer
Labourer

Outside door step/sill??

by ollieowner » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:15 am

Our outside door frame has only 3 sides, top and two sides. It sits on a floor which is part stone and part concrete with bits in (aggregate?). The gap under this door is quite large, particularly on one side, so that even with a projecting wooden bit at the bottom of the door on the outside (weatherboard?) the rain blows in and mice have easy access.
Obviously there should be some kind of strip at the bottom, on the concrete/stone, across the entrance, but what is this called?, and who would be able to deal with this? - I don't know whether I need the help of a carpenter, mason, general builder or what? - also is this going to be a second mortgage project or something I can find out of this weeks' housekeeping?
Have found nothing in DIY books so far. Grateful for any help.

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:32 pm

YOU NEED SOME KIND OF "THRESHOLD" FITTED TO STEP.

DEPENDING ON WHICH WAY THE DOOR OPENS! IN OR OUT?

THE THRESHOLD PROVIDES A MEANS OF SEALING THE DOOR AGAINST WEATHER AND INSECTS/ANIMALS.

IT CAN BE AS SIMPLE AS A HARDWOOD BATTEN.
OR
A 90 DEG ALUMINIUM STRIP.
OR
A REPEAT OF THE HEAD AND SIDE FRAMES.

THERE ARE OTHER OPTIONS AVAILABLE.

IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO DIY THEN GSI (JOINER OR HANDYPERSON).

THEY WILL BE ABLE TO RECOMMEND THE BEST REMEDY FOR YOUR SITUATION.

I WOULD HAZZARD A GUESS AT £80-£100/HR FOR THE JOINER.

A DECENT HANDYMAN/WOMAN AT £40-£60/HR.

DEPENDING ON WHICH SOLUTION YOU PLUMB FOR 1-2 HOURS WORK.

ALDA.

Joiner_Mike
Ganger
Ganger

£80/£100 per hour????

by Joiner_Mike » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:24 pm

ALDA where do u live mate? Any chance of a job? No chance where i live of getting £80 per hour off a customer. Id charge about £30 plus materials (approx £20) top to sort that door out.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:52 am